Jump to Navigation

How to handle employment law disputes in New Jersey

Employees are protected by law from racial, sexual and other types of harassment. If an employer violates a protected right, an employee may be entitled to compensation or other forms of relief. Prior to filing a lawsuit, it may be a good idea to work with the employer to determine if a right was violated and what can be done to remedy the issue.

If informal negotiations do not work, it may be time to file a complaint with the government. Ana ffected individual may file a claim at either the state or federal level. After a complaint is filed, the appropriate agency may pursue the case on behalf of the person who filed the claim. For those who plan on filing a private lawsuit in an effort to settle the matter, a claim must first be filed with the appropriate government agency.

When it comes time to file a private lawsuit against the party or parties that harmed the worker, it is important to consider where the suit is filed. In some cases, the plaintiff may be able to choose where the case is filed. However, state or federal law may also dictate the venue. Regardless of where it is filed, the plaintiff will submit a formal complaint to the court outlining the allegations and key facts to back them up.

Anyone who was the victim of sexual harassment or other harassment at work may wish to talk to an employment law attorney who may be able to help pursue a case either in court or privately with the employer in question. A successful outcome could include a financial award and reinstatement.

Source: FindLaw, "Have Your Civil Rights Been Violated?", accessed on Jan. 19, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Visit Our Litigation & Appeals Website
Office Location

96 Park Street
Montclair, NJ 07042
Phone: 973-718-2239
Fax: 973-509-0063

Map & Directions